Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2016

Brooks turns TWO!

Birthdays are a big deal in our family. You get pretty much whatever you want and everyone does their best to "encourage" the one having the birthday. It's especially meaningful for me, because as a Mama, I sit down and reflect on each of my boys as I see more and more of who God is making them to be. So, even though this blog doesn't carry a lot of weight anymore, it's a place for me to come on everyone's birthday and write them a little note....

My sweet B, B-bears, Brooksie boy:

You are my baby. You are the baby of the family and you own it. You love to be held...Daddy takes you places and insists that you are "walker baby" but you have this move where you will face me and grab onto my legs and you know I'm the weak link. I hold you. We are still pretty much attached at the hip and I love how you are still a Mama's boy. You love to go on "Bob rides" and prefer the stroller over walking most of the time. But don't get me wrong....you do have energy and love to be active. You have started wrestling with Isaac and playing the nightly wrestling games with Daddy and your brothers. You laugh and laugh until you get hurt....then are quick to run to Mama for refuge. You are getting very tough and most of the time can take a good fall or hit without crying, where I later see blood or a big scrape and I'm like really dude? You didn't cry for that?

You LOVE trains and balls. I mean, LOVE them. Like can play trains at your train table for hours upon hours. Like will do anything it takes to get to a ball. You have a determined and focused energy that I'm seeing at 2 that will take you far in this world. You are pretty much go with the flow (as you've been all your life) and can easily play by yourself. You love to read books and you know that's Mama's soft spot...so you bring me book after book and we read. Oh, I hope it continues! Since Carter is in school you and Isaac are starting to become buddies and I love watching that bond form. We go to the gym most days and after I'm done we go to the big gym where there is a tub of balls. You get so excited every.single.time that you yell "ball! ball! ball!", run as fast as your little legs can, and pick out a very particular ball for you and for Mama and then the 3 of us play dodgeball against the mat. It's one of your favorite parts of the day. As far as eating, you sure do love your carbs. Fruit, bread, cheerios (and milk on a Bob ride is your breakfast of choice as we walk Carter to school!), pb&j "nee nish", crackers "ba ba", rice and beans are your favorites. You are not a meat or veggie fan, although you've learned the prize factor in our house, so you now will eat broccoli/cauliflower dipped in ketchup to get into the coin flip. You still love your bed and love to sleep. You are not a morning person and are Mr. Grumps most mornings so we let you eat your breakfast in peace. You go to bed about 7:30 at night and like to sleep in until 8 most mornings although I often wake you up around 7:30 to take Carter to school (and don't talk to you...just give you milk and "do dos" (cheerios) and set you in the stroller and 25 mins later when we return you are ready to talk to the world). You still have your morning rest time for about 30 mins most mornings then take a good 2-3 hour nap most afternoons. Our before nap/bed routine is my fave...I read you books facing out as you sit in your rocker. We both rock in our rockers and sing "Jesus loves me", then you turn on your sound machine and determine if you want to "rock" (with me and snuggle!) or go "nigh nigh" (me put you in your bed). I pray Joshua 1:9 over you, give you your chincha, you put that left thumb in your mouth and you never cry, never wake up at night. I may never move you out of the crib! This is such a perfect way to end the day....because as much fun and play as we have, I have to be honest that you are TWO. Man, you have a temper and a fireball personality that wants what you want if I tell you no you will 1) hit me (this is getting better) or 2) threaten to hit me (hence discipline from #1 is working) by putting your hand up and giving me a dirty look but not hitting or 3) spit at me or 4) find something/anything to throw. Whew. I do love that we are really working on a spirit of gratitude with your older brothers so you are learning to say thank you. You are not sure exactly when to say it, so when you know you're in trouble you will just look at me with those big brown eyes and say "thank you". Ha! Already learning I discipline you because I love you?

Oh, the days are long but the years are short. I look back and remember your birth day so vividly. It was only two years ago but we have fit so much into these two years. I feel like with you being the third child you get dragged a lot of places. You get woken up in the mornings and from naps, you get dragged to practices and performances, school meetings and games, and I know it will just get more and more. I don't feel bad for you though. I see your flexibility and go with the flow personality and have to believe part of it is because you've been forced to be adaptable since birth. You are definitely growing into your own little person. You have such focus and determination. You say hi to strangers and can walk into a group of 6 year old boys and think you fit right in, completely unaware of an age difference.   You have such a joy in the simple things. You laugh and smile so much of your day--oh that big gap tooth smile I adore! My word and prayer for you since you were in the womb has been joy. Lord, fill him with joy and may his joy continue to grow. Your teacher at school  (you go 1 day/week) Ms. Denise (nee neese) says you are the happiest boy in your class, always smiling. That's your joy buddy. I pray it will continue. That you will not just be happy, but even when you fail and when trouble comes the JOY of the Lord will be your strength. I pray over you most nights as we rock and snuggle and I pray specifically that you will come to love and know God will all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. That your joy will continue to grow. That you will love others well. That God will help me and your Daddy train you and point you to Jesus in all things, as Jesus is the only one we can promise you will always be with you. May angel armies be by your side as you grow and become more and more your own person. I sure do adore you at 2. Sometimes your tantrums and melt downs and complete neediness wears me down, but I am so grateful to be your Mama.  To have a front row seat as your discover your world, to find joy in the simple things, to discover your gifts that God gave you, and watch you become your own little person. Happy birthday buddy. Today is your day. We will play trains and balls, be outside and eat lots of cake. Tomorrow your family and friends come over and your celebration will continue. We love you and are so thankful for you.

Love,
Mama


No comments: