Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Carter is 10!

 Carter,

You are 10. Double digits. An entire decade. Little did I know when I was in that hospital room 10 years ago how full and hard but so fun these 10 years would be. Being the oldest of 4 you have it tough because everything is new for us as parents. You get mad that Brooks and Abby get away with things we would "never have let you done" and son...I'm sure there's going to be a lot more of that in this 2nd decade! You have a strong sense of justice and often hear "I treat you fair but not equal" and are learning to find your role as oldest brother. You are one of the most responsible, intrinsicially motivated people I have ever met and that made virtual school this past year feel like smooth sailing. You have picked up cycling and enjoy long bike rides with Daddy while he runs...you say you equally enjoy the 1-1 attention and conversation as much as the cycling part! I rarely have to remind you to do chores, you bring your kindle downstairs at night like clockwork at 8:15, and you protect the neighborhood kids walking home from school and playing in the street. You feel it's your responsibility to make sure Abby doeesn't turn into a "princess" since the rest of the family treats her like one so you make sure she does her fair share of household tasks. 

You are a great student and love to discuss adult topics and current events. At your parent-teacher conference a few weeks ago Mrs. Porter said you come into the classroom and immediately want her thoughts on the new CDC or the election. You love history and government and said the biggest treat when you are having a hard day is a stack of history books. We planned on you doing a BIG trip with Daddy to celebrate 10. Washington DC was your place of choice and then with covid we tried to think of all new places but it's just not the time to travel right now. Fortunately you understand delayed gratification better than anyone I know and are excited to take your 10 year old trip to DC when restrictions lift. We look forward to celebrating you today with french toast breakfast, pizza for dinner, cookie cake, Harry Potter reading (SO good! we only have 40 pages left in book 6 and we are all obsessed), and a set of flannel sheets on your bed! We have a babysitter coming Saturday so we can have a date night just the 3 of us...to toast YOU and this new decade! I'm not sure what is to come but I'm so glad you made me a Mama 10 years ago and am so proud of the young man you are becoming! You still think it's cool to talk to Mom and pray with me at night and I'll take that for as long as I can! I adore you Carter David Wood and can't wait to see what God has planned for your life...I know if you follow HIM you will do big things!

Love,

Mom

No comments: