Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Dedicated to the Lord

On June 12 we had Carter's baby dedication at church. I fully intended to complete a blog post that week and then with the camera/usb lost cord issue I never got around to it. I think that's a good thing, as the Lord has taught me a lot these past few weeks that Carter is not mine. He's not Caleb's. He's the Lord's. What a blessing it is that God chose us to be his parents, but we can't hold onto him like he's ours. Ultimately, he is the Lord's and it is our job as his parents to glorify the Lord in raising Carter. To point to the Lord and pray that Carter will come to know Jesus on his own one day.  He already has dates and times set. He holds Carter's future in His hands. I'm not in control, HE is, and what a relief that brings. I was holding Carter today and standing him up while holding onto his little fingers. I was telling him about how big God is and how God has big plans for him and I can't wait to see what those are. I was telling him how much Mommy and Daddy love him, "sooooooooooo much", and I don't know how but God loves him even more.

In preparing for the dedication Caleb and I talked about what it meant. I didn't want to go through the motions "because dedication is something you're supposed to do when your child hits 6 months" but really wanted us to be on the same page about what it meant to "dedicate Carter". It's funny because Caleb's personality is very succint and I tend to be wordy and emotional about things. It's a good mix for us. However, he very simply said it means we're commiting him to the Lord and commiting we're going to raise him in church. I kept pressing for more....and it means we're going to pray for him...it means we're going to teach him who Jesus is and pray he will accept Him one day...and it means we're going to raise him in a home that points to Christ....etc, etc. But really, it means Carter is not ours, He is the Lord's, and we understand that.

It's easy in everyday life to forget this. To go about our day trying to control what happens. To become frustrated when Carter doesn't nap for 2 hours like he's "supposed to" at 12:30 every day, etc. But this week has been different because of some very sad and unfortunate circumstances for some friends. I hate what they're going through but at the same time realize that the Lord does not guarantee that we'll have Carter for all the moments I hope we do. So this week I've slowed down and enjoyed some sweet time with my little man.  I've laid on the floor in his room and watched him tumble across his crib until he fell asleep. Caleb and I have gone up multiple times before bed just to watch Carter sleep  peacefully in the crib.   I've put off the laundry or the dishes and other "to do's" so I could sit and play/sing/tickle/act silly with my baby boy and loved every.minute.

I hope I keep this perspective and come back to this post often as a reminder. I cling to the promise that God is good and He works all things for the good for those who love him.
So blessed with the little family we've become.

No comments: