Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

Welcome Carter!

Our precious baby boy is one week old today. He arrived on Friday 12/3 at 2:31 pm. 8 lbs, 8 ounces and 21 inches long. Here are some pics to chronicle our first week at home. I will do the labor story in a different post, but here are some pictures and comments to chronicle this first week.  
Right before we left for the hospital. Last belly shot :). I did put on makeup, not knowing little man would not be arriving for another 17 hours!

In labor and delivery! This is BETWEEN contractions, pre-epidural.

Caleb's bed for the evening...

First glimpses of our son! I love Caleb's face in this picture.

Such a sweetie! He was probably 2 minutes old here, so alert!

Proud Daddy!

We moved to our room in post partum. Caleb and Carter enjoying some skin to skin. He's giving his Daddy a big bear hug. Love it!

Hearing screen--check. Passed!

Mimi holding Carter for the first time.

Nana and Papa with their son and grandson.
*I did not get any pics with Grandpa and GrandmaJo! How did that happen?! They visited multiple times and were at our house when we came home from the hospital....send me pics when you get a chance Dad!

Sweet Bible study girls came to visit.

Our "Celebration Meal" of spinach salad, ribeye steak, asparagus, potatoes, perrier water, starbucks coffee (decaf for mommy!) and tuxedo cake. Shout out to Medical City! Also, thanks Grandpa and GrandmaJo for watching Carter so we could enjoy this romantic meal in our hospital room :)

All ready for the car ride home! His first time to see the sun!

Uncle Stephen and Aunt Diana hanging out with the little guy and letting us unpack from the hospital.

LOVE this. Our little froggy. Lots and lots of snuggling going on around here this week and we're loving EVERY minute of it.

We took our first "outing" to Target on Tuesday while Mimi kept Carter. I had to pick up some baby stuff--after we went through the baby aisle, Caleb wanted to go down the toy aisle and find things that Carter needs in his future. He  cannot wait for the days of swords and nerf guns. I didn't realize how much I would miss him--we were gone less than 2 hours and it was really tough to be away from him. I hear this is normal, I'm sure it will get better.

Ham sandwiches, oh how I missed you! I restrained from deli meat during pregnancy, so I was excited to start eating something other than pb&j sandwiches!
I'm still working on the video skills, but here's a little video of Carter and his first hiccups.

Loving...
-his smell. so so sweet
-his cute little sneezes
-that scrunchy face he makes when he's about to cry
-the way he pulls his legs up so tight when you try to change his diaper
-the way he cuddles and it never gets old
-his startle reflex when a door closes or a toilet flushes. so cute.
-laughing so hard my stomach hurts (I think I strained a muscle during labor) at Caleb's reaction when Carter spits up or poops during diaper changes with Daddy
-the way he just holds your finger (I know it's a reflex, but still...)
-his sweet stretching, kicking, and arm movements as he grunts and wakes up from naps
-his sweet hair--and it smells so baby-ish.
-watching Caleb interact with him, and just watch him, and try to teach him how to do push-ups and go on "rides" on the blanket
-lots and lots of snuggling with Mommy and Daddy
-reading to him
-praying over him
-family nap times
-family walks (love the Bob!)
-friends bringing us meals
-all the calls, texts, and messages and the excitement of our family and friends!
-fire in the fireplace, Christmas music on, and Caleb and I just staring at him--couldn't imagine we could love him this much.

Don't get me wrong, he definitely has his moments of inconsolable crying and times at night where we both just WISH he would go back to sleep, but I wouldn't trade this first week for anything. His first night at home was really really rough, but it's funny how now I hardly remember it. He's now a much more "chill" child and will really just hang out unless he's a) hungry b) getting a bath or c) getting a diaper/clothes change--then we get the high-pitched, "Mommy and Daddy, come help me NOW!" screaming cry.

We are loving parenthood so far, and I'm already that Mom that says "I can't believe he's already a week old! I'm not ready for him to grow up!" :)

5 comments:

Steph said...

aww yay! soooo excited for you guys and can't wait to meet baby carter!

shansmith said...

Love it Julie! Can't wait to see him again. He is absolutely precious and you two are amazing!

Kali said...

so sweet! can't wait to meet him! enjoy every minute!

Alison said...

I love this post, Julie! It brought back so many sweet memories of what feels like a month ago. I am so happy for you and Caleb! I am also so happy I finally have your blog on my Google Reader so I can watch your little man grow before my eyes. Love you!
Love, Your "fancy" friend (Thanks for that, btw ;-)

Kate said...

Wow - Loved every word you wrote and every picture you posted! Wish I could be there to hold the sweet man and see you guys! That video was priceless!

Love you Jules!