Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2013

What's in a name?

Oh....a LOT. At MOPS yesterday I was telling my table about our naming dilemmas and we discussed the pressures of naming your children. Apparently, a speaker last year said that a good name is the best gift you could ever give your child. No. Pressure. Right?!?!

So, I found out I was pregnant in June but we waited until we knew the gender before even discussing names. We have gone through the entire baby name book. TWICE. We have made lists. We have used veto power. We have also established a "rule" that if one of us brings up a name you can't automatically say no. You have to let it "simmer" 48 hours before using veto power. It's funny because looking back on the journey of naming this little boy we have gone through LOTS of names. With Carter, there was always a "top 5" and we didn't really vacillate between those. This time, some of the names we were thinking about in October I now can't believe were ever a contender. And none of the names we're thinking about this time were even in the top 5 with Carter.

So....3 weeks ago we had it pretty much down to 2 names, and were 90% sure. We didn't want to tell anyone until we were FOR SURE because I really don't want others' opinions of the name once it's decided. However, Caleb had the idea to get some "feelers" on the name from some people at work. No bad reactions, but not exactly "I LOVE IT!" reactions either (if guys would ever do that?). So, I tested the waters with a couple of nurses at work and got the exact.same.reaction. Hmm....

This brought deep thinking, language analytic Julie to really reconsider. Caleb couldn't believe it. We had finally decided on a name and now I was backing out? This brings us to last Saturday....fancy date night at Olive Garden. We decide to get a reaction to our name from our waiter--completely unbiased opinion, right? Well, the guy confirmed all (if not more!) of my concerns with mispronunciation, misspelling, etc. It was BAD. Like, worse than I thought he would ever get.

Caleb and I decided even though the waiter's reaction wasn't "normal", our little dude will be dealing with people "like him" on a regular basis in life...and can we really do that to our son?! Back to the name book it went....gotta think of the perfect name for our son.

And I think we have it. So much so that I just ordered his name monogram for above his crib! We've decided that since we've waited this long (have I noted on here that I will be induced 2/6 if he doesn't come before then?!) we'll just wait and announce when he is here. I now have on my agenda to go find a baby hat and a super fast monogrammer--we'll see if that happens :).

Oh, how I can't wait to meet him! :)

Next update from hospital?!?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The suspense is killing me :)

Can't wait to meet him!

Alison said...

Oh man!!! I can't wait that long!!!!!! I'm very confident it will be the perfect name for your sweet boy!