Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

swine flu mania

What is this craziness? Personally, I feel like many people are overreacting to this "epidemic"....and, maybe I just see all the crazies because I work in a children's hospital. But, seriously.....today I saw probably 100+ families come in all wearing masks (granted, I'm totally with it for those immunosuppressed kiddsos), many parents had CNN on in the rooms where it's 24 hour coverage of all 16 americans with "swine flu", AND as I was literally logging off my computer to leave when a code yellow was called and we were required to stay an hour and a half late at work (good think I'm an hourly employee!) . For what you ask? And, what is this code yellow you speak of? Well, my blog friends, our ER was overflowing with all the crazy parents wanting their kids tested for swine flu....so, they made a special "swine flu testing area" in the auditorium. That's cool, whatever. THEN, the auditorium overfilled because it seems like every kid in Dallas with a cough now is a suspect for swine flu. So, code yellow called, which means it's lockdown and all medical personnel are to be available to help hand out masks, do screenings, forms, etc. I was actually kinda excited to go see all the crazies, but they ended up not needing us. So, my productivity went from 60% to 50%. Too bad :).

Okay, that's my soap box :). Last night we went to trivia night and it seemed like 80% of the team names had "swine flu" in them. However, none of the names are appropriate for this family friendly blog, much less, my ears :).

On a slightly more positive note, maybe it was good I got home late today....remember all that bulk trash that we hauled to the curb? Well, I drove out front today and saw that they had picked it all up except for the 100 lb mirror. I was already heated up from the "code yella" (the way our announcer at the hospital says it, we joke it's like a SNL skit) so I just went and found those bulk trash men 2 streets over and told them to come pick up my "mirra" (haha). And they sure did come back and get it. Then my neighbor sticks her head out the door and says "you go girl! those guys are so lazy! way to call them on it!". Whew. Feel much better :)

No comments: