Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reflection

I tend to always reflect  back on the year on Christmas Eve night. Not sure what it is...maybe that my one constant Christmas traditions as long as I can remember is going to the Christmas Eve service, so as I sit I think back to "this time last year..." and then think "I wonder if this time next year...".

I know I say it every year but this past year has been such a blessing. The Lord gives and takes away and I hope I'm always able to say "blessed be the name of the Lord"--it's easy to say in a year of giving. It's been a year of transition for us, a transition that wasn't smooth or easy, but I wouldn't trade for the world.

There was a week in July that I don't think I'll ever forget. One of Caleb's co-workers lost his little boy to a brain tumor, he was only 6 weeks older than Carter and their family pretty much lived our life--that hit me so hard. The next day my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember driving home one day and just losing it...then the Lord spoke so softly, reminding me that this world is not my home and for the first time ever (or that I can remember) I longed for heaven. Where there are no tears. No loss. No grief. No cancer.

We also had a scare with my Dad during that same time, thinking he had a stroke as he lost feeling in one of his arms and face. Thankfully it ended up being a pinched nerve, but that  phone call in the middle of the night from my Dad's wife saying Dad was in the hospital again left me clinging to the Lord.

But then time passed. Mom's surgery went well, Dad is doing great, Mom's almost done with radiation. The family that lost their son is still grieving I'm sure but I don't hear as much about them, although I do think about them often. Carter is growing like a weed and doing new things every day (as this blog as pretty much been dedicated to this past year) , such a joy in our home. It's such a blessing but I feel like when things are "good", I lose my dependence on the Lord. As I reflect, I must remember that every good and perfect gift is from above and give HIM glory. He has done great things for us, and I am filled with joy.

Who knows what the next year will bring, but as we approach the new year, I pray that in times of abundance and in times of need I am able to rest in the Lord and give Him the glory.

In more joy filled news, I'm thrilled that 2 of my 3 college roommates had babies within 2 days of each other. Welcome Miranda Grace and Nathan James--cant wait to squeeze those babies and love on their Mamas!

1 comment:

Wilsons said...

awesome post Julie! so true :)